Thursday, June 25, 2009

Sally the rat update

As some of you may know, a few weeks ago we had a mishap with one of our pets. I was outside doing yard work when the kids came outside panicked that Sally had her tail ripped off. Thinking to myself "WHAT" I come inside to find a frantic rat bleeding in her cage and kids crying. The skin had been ripped off the last 2 or so inches of her tail. Someone had played to rough with her! I call Darin to inform him we are going to the vet. Now some off you may be thinking the same thing Darin was about spending that much money on a $10.00 rat but you weren't here with crying, worried children. So we left the vet $60.00 later and pain medicine once a day for 5 days and with the recommendation for amputation for $200.00 (I opted to let nature take its course) She was also put on antibiotics 2x a day for 2 weeks. (We just finished yesterday) All this right before our trip to CA. I informed Darin we had to take them because I wasn't going to have someone watch them AND give her medicine by syringe 3xs a day. Well she survived. Her tail turned black and fell off which is what the vet said will happen and now she is left with a shorter but still cute tail. Thanks for every ones concern and I hope you enjoyed this story that is our life.

3 comments:

  1. Only the Bailey family would have a misshap like this. Where are the pics of the bleeding tail?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yippie, the rat survived! I am sure the kiddos are so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute name for a rat, and how did Sally the rat become a pet of the Bailey family? You have some fun stories and I love reading about them!

    ReplyDelete